World AIDS Day has been held every December 1st since 1988. World AIDS Day’s intention has been to raise awareness about HIV and AIDS across the globe. For this years event, the theme is focused on human rights and access to treatment for everyone.
Here are a few sobering facts about HIV and AIDS:
• A total of 33 million people now live with HIV/AIDS. Two million of them are under the age of 15.
• In 2008, an estimated 2.7 million people were infected with HIV.
• Every day 7,397 people contract HIV—that breaks down to 308 people every hour.
• In 2008, 2.0 million people died from AIDS.
• More than two-thirds (67 percent) of all people living with HIV, 22 million, live in sub-Saharan Africa—including 90 percent of the world’s HIV-positive children.
For additional facts about AIDS please go to this site.
Shown here is collection of logos for non-profit organizations dedicated to fighting and raising awareness about AIDS. Links to each of theeir respective sites is below the image.
1. Youth AIDS
2. Love Heals
4. Debt AIDS Trade Africa (DATA)
6. Elton John AIDS Foundation
8. Gay Men’s Health Crisis (GMHC)
9. International AIDS Society
13. AIDS Alliance
14. World Vision