This is it, 2010 is winding down to a close and we are just about 12 hours away from 2011. I decided to close out the year with a list of my favorite recordings for the year and it’s not going to be easy.
There was a ton of great music this year, and yes there was some really god awful stuff as well. It’s funny my friend Tim and I often lamented about how musically bland things were earlier in the year, but the last 6 to 7 months have produced some real gems. (Actually I should clarify this by saying in the last 6 to 7 months I have discovered them).
So here it is in no particular order, and without in-depth explanation as to why I like them. Music like art is so subjective explaining why I like something is pretty much pointless. I mean you might actually like Justin Beiber, I just want to punch him in the face. See what I mean?
- Vintage Trouble. “The Bomb Shelter Sessions”
- Arcade Fire. “The Suburbs”
- Aloe Blacc. “Good Things”
- The Black Keys. “Brothers”
- Brooklyn Rider. “Dominant Curve”
- Band of Horses. “Infinate Arms”
- Deer Hunter. “Halcyon Digest”
- Ray Lamontagne & The Pariah Dogs. “God Willing and the Creek Don’t Rise”
- The New Pornographers. “Together”
- Jason Moran. “Ten”
- Chris Lightcap’s Bigmouth. “Deluxe”
- Erykah Badu. “New Amerykah”
- Caribou. “Swim”
- Titus Andronicus. “The Monitor”
- Beach House. “Teen Dream”
- LCD Soundsystem. “This is Happening”
- Hot Chip. “One Life Stand”
- Girls. “Broken Dreams”
- The Walkmen. “Lisbon”
- Gorillaz. “Plastic Beach”