Tis the season, and Barcelona’s COMODO has produced a series of indents forSpanish broadcasting network TVE. The spots use a zoetrope to crete the animations. Each piece was built from scratch over a two month period of time with lots of trial and error to get things just right. The result is a series of fun holiday themed indents featuring Christmas, New Years Eve, and the Three Kings. Below are the final results and a making of video that is light on technical details but fun to watch just the same.
With Father’s Day right around the corner, Volkswagen UK has released a new TV spot for the Polo. There is no dialog used through out the spot, but the story telling and emotional connection is there. More importantly, the actual product is hardly noticeable until the very end of the spot.
The car is featured through out, but done so in a very subtle way, pushing the focus onto the relationship between the father and daughter. The really nice tie in here is how VW manages to make the connection between the father figure, the daughter, the car and the brand with the two lines of copy at the end. “Stay in safe hands”, and “Polo, small but tough”.
“Our new TV ad for the Volkswagen Polo shows the evolving relationship of a protective father and his daughter, from the moment he first brings her home from the hospital to the day she finally leaves home, when he hands her the keys to a shiny new Polo — ensuring she “stays in safe hands”.
Yesterday posted a rather dreamy vision of how we will consume media and interact with TV, Internet, Mobile device etc. If you didn’t read it, the basic point was where are we going to be in 10 years, and get ready because how you use things like your TV especially will be a very different animal. I really think that cable providers are going to have to re-think the way they do business. Their business model is a mess, and really they seem out of touch with what consumers want.
On the Hulu blog, there were some interesting year-end facts they posted. And this is why I think you won’t experience TV the same way you do today in 5 or so years.
– Monthly users of Hulu, as measured by comScore, grew to over 43 million, a 95 percent increase over this time last year.
– Monthly streams, as measured by comScore, grew to 924 million, a 307 percent increase from this time last year.
– Hulu’s content library doubled over the past year. They now offer over 14,000 hours of premium content, up from 5,600 hours at this time last year.
– Hulu grew from 130 content partners last year to over 200 today, which includes the addition of Disney/ABC content.
– The number of advertisers/marketers Hulu have served has more than doubled, growing from 166 to 408. As a team, we are extremely excited about the atypically strong results we have been able to drive for our marketing partners.
– 6.4 million Hulu video players were embedded across the web in 2009, a 237 percent jump from 2008 levels. To date, Hulu players have been embedded on over 207,000 websites.
– Some of the more prominent consumer-facing innovations from 2009: Hulu Desktop, Captions Search, Continuous Play, Tags, and the ongoing innovation hub that is Hulu Labs.
– Our search service managed nearly 1 billion search queries in 2009, up 175 percent from 2008.
– The five most popular shows on the service in 2009:
– Hulu’s most embedded video of 2009 was the live stream of Barack Obama’s inauguration.
– The most popular full episode on Hulu in 2009 was Family Guy’s “Stew-Roids.”
– Our customers had a lot to say about us in 2009, and Hulu listened carefully. Some of the more colorful comments (via Twitter):
- BradMays: If Hulu.com truly is an evil alien plot to take over the world…I’ve already been assimilated.
- andrewjmay: Dear Hulu, This has been on my mind for a while now, but tonight is the night that I let you know my true feelings….I love you.
- kiki_miserychic: I’m getting a coffee from McCafe tomorrow because Hulu told me to do it. My brain is liquidy slush.
- Tiffanyasapun: found Hulu.com and my feet hurt. Those 2 are unrelated.
– Hulu was fortunate to receive a number of awards over the last year, including being named the World’s 3rd Most Innovative Company (Fast Company, March 2009), being included in TIME magazine’s Top 50 Best Websites, and ranking among the Top 5 fastest rising Google search terms.