I’ve been really curious about the Black Magic Cinema camera since it was introduced a couple of years back. There have been mixed reviews, but one thing always comes through. That is that the image quality is outstanding, and worth some of the cameras shortfalls.
Today I got an email letting me know that Black Magic will be announcing a number of new products at NAB this year. One that I pretty excited about is the all new Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera. The specs look really solid, and the size is great for a secondary field camera.
“The world’s most compact Super 16 digital film camera features an elegant magnesium alloy chassis, 13 stops of dynamic range, Super 16 sensor size, high quality Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) and lossless compressed CinemaDNG RAW recording, as well as interchangeable optics with an active Micro Four Thirds lens mount, all packed into an incredibly tiny size. Includes power supply, removable/rechargeable battery and wrist strap.”
- Effective Sensor Size: 12.48mm x 7.02mm
- Effective Resolution: 1920 x 1080
- Shooting Resolutions: Lossless CinemaDNG RAW and Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) at 1920 x 1080
- Frame Rates: 23.98p, 24p, 25p, 29.97p, 30p
- Dynamic Range: 13 stops
- Focus: Focus button turns on peaking.
- Iris Control: Iris button automatically adjusts the lens iris settings so no pixel is clipped in film mode. Scene average auto exposure in video mode.
- Lens Mount: Active MFT
- Screen Dimensions: 3.5″ and 800 x 480 resolution.
- Screen Type: Integrated LCD.
- Metadata Support: Automatic camera data and user data such as shot number, filenames and keywords.
- Storage Type: Removable SDXC, SDHC cards.
- Storage Format: SD card can be formatted in either exFAT or HFS+
- Storage Rates: 220 Mbps using Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)
- Compressed Recording Formats: Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) in QuickTime MOV, lossless CinemaDNG RAW. Recording in 1920 x 1080 with choice of Film or Video Dynamic Range.
- HDMI Video Output: 1 x Micro HDMI Type D output.
- Analog Audio Input: 1 x 3.5mm stereo audio.
- Analog Audio Output: 1 x 3.5mm stereo jack headphone output.
- HDMI Audio Output: 2 channels 48 kHz and 24 bit.
- Remote Control: 1 x 2.5mm LANC for Rec Start/Stop, Iris Control and Focus.
- Computer Interface: USB 2.0 mini B port for software updates and configuration.
- DaVinci Resolve Lite grading software DVD for Mac OS X and Windows.