Over the weekend I came across a long format commercial for South African whiskey distiller “Bells”. The two videos below show the full length commercial and the behind the scenes documentary that was produced to show the strategic thinking behind the spot. The commercial itself, is a touching and heartwarming look at a man’s growth to literacy.
The product and the tag line don’t even make it into the spot until the last 5 seconds of the 2 minute commercial. It doesn’t matter, this is not a hard sell commercial. It is however extremely effective, having hooked the viewer, and pulled you all the way through the story.If you are a content producer, videographer, story teller, or anyone that works with dynamic media, the second video is well worth watching for the King James insight about the thinking that went into this piece.
“The Reader” was developed South African agency King James. The team consisted of;
- Chief Creative Officer Alistair King,
- Executive Creative Directors Devin Kennedy and Matt Ross,
- Creative Director Mike Wilson,
- Art director Cameron Watson,
- Agency Producer Caz Friedman
- Bell’s Whisky Brand Manager Thandeka Mgqumeya
- Marketing Manager Thami Silwana.
- Director Greg Gray for Velocity Films with Producer Helena Woodfine