What do you do on yet another bitter cold snow day in the midwest? You bust out the iPad, your Sensū stylus brush, ArtRage, and you spend the day sketching/painting your friends hot-rod at the Bonneville Salt Flats. Well at least that’s what I did.
It’s been raining all morning here in Kansas City, so I decided to use the time to finish up a freelance illustration gig that is due in a week. The image below was created on the iPad using ArtRage, Snapseed, and traditional paper and pencils. The source images were provided by the client, in the form of low-res JPEG’s, that I used to create the base image from.
The original image was sketched out with Prismacolor pencils on a sheet of Strathmore that was scanned and transferred to my iPad. From there the image was reworked in ArtRage. There are 16 layers of digital painting and compositing, 4 of which are post processed imports from Snapseed. The more I use these two apps in conjunction with traditional mediums the more I like it. I hope the client does as well. Later this week I’ll post the final image with editorial, and final cropping for the layout.
today I took the day off from work and relaxed. Part of the day was spent working in ArtRage on the iPad doing a little sketching with my Sensu stylus. The more I use it, the better I like it. I’ve had the brush based stylus for about three months now, and seriously it is the best thing I have used for painting, sketching and illustrating on the iPad.
When you have a weekend that goes from 80 degrees for a high on Friday, to 35 and rainy on Sunday, you tend to stay at home. Stay at home blustery end of winter weekends lead to some time spent drawing and painting on the iPad with ArtRage. Yesterday and today I fleshed out and finished, something I started a couple months back for a freelance job that fell through.
I have to say, the more I use ArtRage on the iPad, the more it becomes my go to app for illustration/ digital painting. This ArtRage project originated as a pencil sketch, that was scanned and transferred to the iPad via Dropbox back in January.
The sketch was roughed in for color and layout approvals, which were given the green light by the client. The project was then killed about halfway through. After it was killed I shelved the project and actually forgot about it until this weekend. Over the last two days I spent about 16 hours finishing it out. Their loss, my gain.